Beyukaga Mirzazade

(1921 – 2007)

National Artist of Azerbaijan Republic

The winner of the state award of Azerbaijan.Professor.

More Artworks by this Artist are available in Gallery.

Beyukaga Mirzazade was born on February 21, 1921 in Baku.
In 1939, having graduated from the Theatre-Scenery Department of the Baku Art School, and desiring to further expand the horizons of his artistic knowledge and his views on art as well as polish his skills, Mirzazade decided to apply for entrance to the Surikov Art Institute in Moscow. Mirzazade studied in the Surikov Art Institute in Moscow for only one year. When he returned from Moscow, still a fairly young man, B. Mirzazade and his closest friends and associates pioneered the formation of a professional school of art in Azerbaijan, propagating their philosophy and creative methods. In 1940s, B.Mirzazade painted light and airy works from nature (“Balcony” (1941), “On the Lawn” (1943), “Flowers” (1945)).
From 1950 onwards, B.Mirzazade referred more freguently to the industrial landscape (The Piers” (1953), “The Island of Seven Ships” (1953), “The Transfer of oil Equipment” (1959), “The Blue Sea” (1959)).
In the creatively active 1950s and 60s, the artist, in addition to easel painting worked widely in the field of monumental painting. He painted the ceilings and walls of several clubs in Baku and decorated the Azerbaijan Pavilion for the Agricultural Exhibition. Over the same period of time, he designed the sets for ballets which were performed during the days of Azerbaijani Culture in Moscow in 1968.
The artist’s talent was greatly appreciated during his lifetime. From the beginning of his artistic career, B.Mirzazade became one of the leading painters of the Azerbaijan SSR. Starting in 1946, he participated in all major national, all-union and international exhibitions, in Czechoslovakia and Hungary, in Arab countries, and later in Western Europe.
He died in 2007 in Baku.

  • ARTIST

    Beyukaga Mirzazade

  • TITLE

    Balerinas

  • TECHNIQUE

    Oil on Canvas

  • DIMENSIONS

    W990 x H1640 mm